The mind approach
In order to determine cost-effective ways to get Ecoegg’s brand in front of the environmentally conscious audience in the UK, we started with the Discovery Phase.
The Discovery Phase is an intensive research period done at the beginning of a project to reduce uncertainty and provide data-backed direction to digital marketing strategy.
Our Discovery Phase consisted of 3 stages:
1. Data organisation
- Set up ecommerce tracking – this allowed us to see exactly where Ecoegg’s revenue is coming from
- Set up tracking on Google Tag Manager – this allowed us to properly set up multi-funnel conversions tracking in Google Analytics
- Removed payment gateways as referrals – this allowed us to see where exactly the sales came from
- Set up Filters – this allowed us to remove internal and irrelevant traffic we didn’t want to track
- Set up Events – this allowed us to track engaged visitors on ecoegg’s site
- Built a customised reporting dashboard in Google Analytics – this allowed us to see the most important data at a glance
2. Audience research & analysis
To cut customer acquisition costs, Ecoegg needed to narrow down their targeting and only market to the types of customers that convert or are likely to stay with them over the long term. In order to understand the characteristics of Ecoegg’s most profitable customers, we did comprehensive audience research using our unique MIND methodology.
Our audience research consisted of the following 4 steps:
Step 1: Analyse the Ecoegg’s existing audience behaviour using Google Analytics and Google
Adwords data (we look at demographics, income level, interests/affinities, preferred channels, active hours online, buying patterns etc)
Step 2: Create audience clusters using Google Analytics (clustering is the process of grouping
elements together by similar properties, dimensions, or values. It allows us to claim that if a person does X, they also do Y, which is a data-driven way to understand Ecoegg’s target audience in a more holistic way)
Step 3: Expand audience using 3rd party data to confirm Ecoegg’s target audience beyond their current site visitors (we do this to ensure that there are more people like our current audience out there, which means there is an opportunity to get more conversions/business)
Step 4: Discover search terms Ecoegg personas are likely to use (we map each keyword theme against a persona to create personalised messaging for each target audience)
3. Digital marketing strategy
The final stage of the Discovery Phase is a S.M.A.R.T (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound) digital marketing plan.
Discovery Phase final output:
- Persona cards with detailed information about Ecoegg’s target audiences
- Persona dashboard in Google Analytics
- Cross-channel content calendar
- Paid media plan
- User experience (UX) health-checks