What we did
In order to determine cost-effective ways to get Ecoegg’s brand in front of the environmentally conscious audience in the UK, we needed to understand how to get Ecoegg from where they are to where they want to be, so we started with our sought-after ‘Discovery Phase’.
Our ‘Discovery Phase’ is an intensive research period done at the beginning of a project to reduce uncertainty and provide data-backed direction to digital marketing strategy.
Our Discovery Phase consisted of 3 stages:
1. Data organisation
In order to improve campaign performance, Ecoegg needed to measure the cost vs return (ROI) of every customer. So we made data organisation the top priority. Here’s how we organised data for the Ecoegg:
- Set up ecommerce tracking
- Set up tracking on Google Tag Manager, allowing multi-funnel conversion tracking
- Removed payment gateways as referrals
- Set up Events – this allowed us to track engaged visitors on ecoegg’s site
- Built a customised reporting dashboard in Google Analytics, allowing us to see the most important data at a glance
2. Audience research & analysis
To cut customer acquisition costs, Ecoegg needed to narrow down their targeting and only market to the types of customers that convert or are likely to stay with them over the long term. In order to understand the characteristics of Ecoegg’s most profitable customers, we did comprehensive audience research which consisted of the following 4 steps:
- Analyse the Ecoegg’s existing audience behaviour using Google Analytics and Google Adwords data
- Create audience clusters using Google Analytics – this is the process of grouping elements together by similar properties or values. It allows us to claim that if a person does X, they also do Y, which was a data-driven way to understand ecoegg’s target audience in a more holistic way.
- Expand the audience using 3rd party data to confirm Ecoegg’s target audience beyond their current site visitors. We did this to ensure that there are more people like our current audience out there, which means there is an opportunity to get more conversions/business.
- Discover search terms Ecoegg personas are likely to use. We mapped each keyword theme against a persona to create personalised messaging for each target audience.
3. Digital marketing strategy
The final stage of the Discovery Phase was building a digital marketing plan, ready for execution.
What the client got:
- Digital marketing action and measurement plan
- Persona cards with detailed information about Ecoegg’s target audiences
- Persona dashboard in Google Analytics
- Cross-channel content calendar
- Paid media plan
- User experience (UX) health-checks
Our persona-specific digital marketing strategy enabled Ecoegg to personalise their marketing at scale and as such they saw:
- +30% increase in sales in the first 3 months
- +50% increase in web visitors vs the same time last year
For every £1 spent on ad spend, they saw a £5-£7 return
See other case studies
Norrie Johnston Recruitment
How our CRO quick-wins audit increased leads by 118.75% in just 5 months
How we helped a professional services company generate 267 B2B leads in 2 weeks whilst keeping cost-per-acquisition at an all-time low